• Clint Bowyer, No. 15 NAPA Filters Toyota – finished fifth , is fourth in driver points
• Brian Vickers, No. 55 RK Motors Toyota – finished eighth, No. 55 is fourth in owners points
• Martin Truex Jr., No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota – finished 12th, is 18th in driver points
Clint Bowyer Race Summary: No. 15 NAPA Filters Toyota driver Clint Bowyer finished fifth in Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started 23rd and immediately raced into the top 20. Bowyer climbed to seventh just past the half-way point of the race and continued in the top-10. On lap 350, Bowyer came to pit road under caution for four tires and fuel forcing him to restart 15th, while most cars in front of him only took two tires. The strategy paid off for Bowyer as he immediately worked his way back into the top-10 and into the top-five by the checkered flag. Bowyer scored his first top-five of the season at Bristol. The No. 15 5-hour ENERGY team returns to action Sunday at Auto Club Speedway.
• Started 23rd and finished fifth.
• Raced his way into the top-10 by lap 167
• Pitted for four tires and fuel on lap 350 and restarted 15th.
• Worked his way from 15th to fifth in the final 150 laps.
BOWYER: “It was great having the NAPA colors on my car today. I just didn’t have enough for them on the bottom down there. Needed a little bit of track position. We had a great car and it was a good day – just wasn’t a great day.”
Brian Vickers Summary: No. 55 RK Motors Toyota driver Brian Vickers finished eighth in Sunday’s 500-lap NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started fourth, but struggled to find a good balance in traffic. Vickers went a lap down on lap 229 and again on lap 310, but raced his way to the Aaron’s Lucky Dog free pass returning to the lead lap in both instances. Vickers restarted 20th on lap 352 and raced his way to eighth in the final laps. The No. 55 returns to action next weekend at Auto Club Speedway with Mark Martin behind the wheel of the Aaron’s Dream Machine. Vickers returns at Martinsville Speedway on April 7.
• Started fourth and finished eighth
• Struggled with handling in traffic and fell a lap down on lap 229
• Raced to the Aaron’s Lucky Dog free pass on lap 254 and lap 352
• Raced from 20th to eighth over the final 150 laps.
VICKERS: “(Crew chief) Rodney Childers and the guys did a great job working throughout the race to get the RK Motors Toyota up front by the end of the race. We struggled a little bit throughout the day to get a handle on the car in traffic, but we did what we had to do to get the best finish we could when it counted. I’m proud of the guys for sticking with it and giving it their all. I can’t wait to get back behind the wheel of the No. 55 in Martinsville.”
Martin Truex Jr. Race Summary: No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota driver Martin Truex Jr. finished 12th in Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started ninth and didn’t let a brush with the wall in the first 40 laps slow him as he climbed to third by lap 70. The NAPA driver struggled with handling at the race’s midway point probably due to contact made with another car on the track. Crew chief Chad Johnston worked to mechanically free up the car through the corners breathing new life into the No. 56 with 100 laps remaining. Truex climbed through the field to 12th when the checkered flag fell. The No. 56 returns to action Sunday at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
• Started ninth and finished 12th.
• Brushed wall in early laps.
• Battled tight conditions, but never raced outside the top-16.
• Returns to action Sunday at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
TRUEX: “It should have been a top-10 finish. We got jumbled on the restart and that cost us some positions. Plus it was so tight on the restart. I drove my butt off today. We learned a lot and collected more points so we’ll take it and head back out west to Fontana.”
• Kasey Kahne edged Kyle Busch by 1.7 seconds to claim his first victory of the season.
• Brad Keselowski, Kurt Busch and Clint Bowyer rounded out top five.
• Ten cautions slowed the race for 66 laps.
• Race featured 17 lead changes among 10 drivers.
• The race lasted two hours and 53 minutes
NAME: Brian Vickers
HOMETOWN: Thomasville, NC
RESIDENCE: Miami & NYC
NAME: Clint Bowyer
HOMETOWN: Emporia, KS
RESIDENCE: Clemmons, NC
NAME: Martin Truex Jr.
HOMETOWN: Mayetta, NJ
RESIDENCE: Mooresville, NC