– No. 55 MyClassicGarage Toyota driver Brian Vickers finished fourth. The No. 55 is now 18th in
– No. 15 5-hour ENERGY Toyota driver Clint Bowyer finished seventh and is sixth in points.
– No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota driver Martin Truex Jr. finished 11th and is fifth in points.
Brian Vickers Race Summary: No. 55 MyClassicGarage Toyota driver Brian Vickers finished fourth in Saturday night’s 500-lap NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started 22nd after rain washed out qualifying on Friday and the field was set according to the NASCAR rule book. The Thomasville, N.C. native raced around the top 10 for the first half of the race. On lap 265, Vickers made an unscheduled pit stop for a loose wheel and fell two laps down. Vickers was the beneficiary of back-to-back Aaron’s Lucky Dog free passes on laps 276 and 328 to regain his lead lap status. The No. 55 pitted for fuel on lap 335 and conserved fuel to make it to the end. Vickers led on lap 444 and battled to regain the lead on lap 455, but got loose causing him to drop three positions. Vickers raced hard in the final laps to collect his third top-five in six starts for MWR this season. The No. 55 returns to action Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway with Mark Martin behind the wheel. Vickers returns to the No. 55 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
– Started 22nd and finished fourth.
– Made unscheduled pit stop on lap 265 for a loose wheel
– Received back to back Aaron’s Lucky Dog free passes on laps 276 and 328
– Led lap 444
– Recorded his third top-five in six starts for MWR in 2012
VICKERS: “I’m still really happy with a fourth-place. Obviously, pleased, but not satisfied. I’d loved to have won this thing and I think we had a shot at it. My 55 MyClassicGarage Toyota ran great all night. It was a track position race. At first I wasn’t too sure about the track changes but then there at the end, it got pretty wild and got pretty hairy. It reminded me of the old Bristol watching the races way back when. There was another track very similar to this up north where we used to run Hooters Pro Cup and it was a high-banked half-mile and you ran wide open right around the top and it reminded me a lot of that.”
Clint Bowyer Race Summary: No. 15 5-hour ENERGY Toyota driver Clint Bowyer finished seventh in Saturday night’s 500-lap NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started 23rd after rain washed out qualifying on Friday and the field was set according to the NASCAR rule book. Bowyer immediately showed that he was as fast as any car in the field. Bowyer quickly climbed into the top 10 by lap 55 and into the top-five by lap 92. Bowyer dropped back in the field following different pit strategies on several occasions, but never fell outside the top-20 and usually reclaimed his spot in the top-10 following the restart. Bowyer made his final pit stop on lap 415 for two tires and fuel. He restarted 12th and battled over the final 85 laps to finish seventh. Bowyer and the 5-hour ENERGY team return to action on Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
– Started 23rd and finished seventh.
– Raced as high third as low as 23rd.
– Collected his 14th top-10 finish in 24 starts in 2012.
– Moved up one spot to sixth in points with a 64 point cushion over 11th with two races before the
BOWYER: “We had a great 5-hour ENERGY Toyota tonight. We could run the high or low groove and ran through the field a couple times. We got down towards the end and I was hoping to make up a little more ground then we did, but we are thinking big picture right now. No mistakes. So we gave it as much as we could while making sure to bring it home in one piece. Overall a single digit finish is what we were after and that’s what we got. I don’t know what the points look like, but I’m hoping we are in a good position after next week in Atlanta.”
Martin Truex Jr. Race Summary: No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota driver Martin Truex Jr. finished 11th in Saturday night’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway. Truex started 15th after rain washed out Friday’s qualifying session and the field was set according to the NASCAR rule book. Truex raced into the top-10 by lap 100 and up to second by lap 200. On lap 364, Truex drove the NAPA Toyota to the lead where he remained for more than 40 laps. Truex battled a tight handling condition in the closing laps to record an 11th-place finish. The result moved Truex to fifth-place in points with a 67-point cushion on 11th place for the tenth and final Chase points berth with two races remaining. The NAPA AUTO PARTS team competes Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
– Started 15th and finished 11th
– Led for 43 laps – has led 376 laps in 2012
– Raced as high as first and as low as 21st
– Owns five top-five and 13 top-10 finishes in 2012
TRUEX: “We battled the same issue we had all weekend. Our NAPA Toyota just would not turn. Chad made some adjustments to make it better but it was really tough out there to pass. We could only run the high line. It just would not work on the bottom. We learned a lot this weekend and will look over what our teammates did. We can certainly learn from this.”
– Denny Hamlin won the race by 1.103 seconds over second place finisher Jimmie Johnson
– Jeff Gordon, Vickers and Marcos Ambrose rounded out the top-five finishers.
– The race took three hours and nine minutes.
– The race featured 22 lead changes among 13 drivers.
– Thirteen cautions slowed the race for 87 laps.
– NASCAR estimated the attendance at 145,000.
NAME: Clint Bowyer
HOMETOWN: Emporia, KS
RESIDENCE: Clemmons, NC
NAME: Martin Truex Jr.
HOMETOWN: Mayetta, NJ
RESIDENCE: Mooresville, NC